Friday, January 22, 2016

The Elephant Exhibit, 2015


Opening night: Saturday July 18, 2015
Location: 1310 Gallery, Sailboat Bend Artist Lofts

Produced: Niki Lopez of Niki Art Studio, Alana DaCosta & at 1310 Gallery

The Elephant  – art exhibition is a group arts exhibition featuring work that challenges both artist and viewer to consider their choices about what in our lives, should be revealed and what should be hidden.    We want the elephant out in the open so we can find release…

“The Elephant” as in ‘the elephant in the room’ is metaphorical idiom for an obvious truth that is either being ignored or going unaddressed. The idiomatic expression also applies to an obvious problem or risk no one wants to discuss, It is based on the idea that an elephant in a room would be impossible to overlook; thus, people in the room who pretend the elephant is not there have chosen to avoid dealing with the looming big issue.

My entree for this show was a piece of mine called “ As I See It.” The elephant in the room is addiction and the impact it has on a family. Below is my description of the piece.

During the course of my betterment I decided to quit drinking alcohol. It was terrible for my health as well as my relationships with my wife, my kids, and my friends. What I did find is that it was extremely difficult to change my habitual patterns considering I had been doing it for 20 years or so. I thought o’crap I’m an alcoholic, what do I do from here. I started an outpatient program for alcoholism, where I learned some tools in dealing with my habitual self. A lot of this training was through the alcoholics anonymous book, but in general it was thoughts and concepts on managing your mind, and they work in other areas of life as well. Being the philosophy focused person I am, I really appreciated this way of thinking and still do to a point, minus any god implications. I rook this journey as a betterment of my mind and body it allowed me to focus in areas I hadn’t been able to focus before. So I added Bill W. to my list of admired philosopher and thinkers. He might not be of philosophic pedigree, but his did expand on a great way to gain control; of your mind and focus on your personal development....5.....


About the producer: Niki Lopez is a multi-media artist.  Known for her vibrant color palate, Lopez’s often ‘other-worldly’ art has been exhibited across South Florida, New York, and California.  Lopez is also a Graphic Designer known for her community spirit and avant-garde art shows.  Niki is passionate about community & outreach.  Lopez has been an integral  part of the creation of the 1310 Gallery space located within the Sailboat Bend Artist Lofts, where residents create monthly art programs.  As Web Master, Niki created the community’s on-line presence, and is a contributor to the 1310 Gallery brand via Social Media.

No comments:

Post a Comment